|For other uses, see armored personnel carrier.|
The armoured personnel carrier (or APC) was the primary troop transport vehicle used by GDI (and in small numbers by Nod) forces during the First Tiberium War. However its fast speed and medium armor and high sight radius can allow it to double as a recon vehicle.
The APC visually resembles the American M113 APC. Its primary role is the transportation of infantry to and from the battlefield. It is often used to transport infantry throught dangerous areas, such as Tiberium fields, or to move infantry quickly to areas where they are needed.
The armour and speed of the APC also make it a viable alternative to the Humvee. The APC is equipped with the same M60 machine gun as the Humvee, can move at a comparable speed, maybe ever so slightly faster (35 speed vs 30) and is capable of taking an increased level of punishment. As such APCs are largely fielded where the battlefield situation demands greater levels of protection, but require a vehicle that fulfills a similar, if not better, light support/reconnaissance role to that of the Humvee.
Due to the front mounting of the M60 machine gun, the APC needs to turn to train the gun on targets, and, as such cannot fire on the move. The combination of the M60 and the APC's good armour make it an effective unit to bring to bear against enemy infantry. Further, the unit's speed make it a viable choice for reconaissance. Due to it's armor and weight, APC can "accidentally" run down opposing infantry. Friendly infantries, coordinated with central command and APC driver indirectly, can evade these "accidents".
The APC was a preferred choice and gave GDI advantage to do engineer capturing strikes as the vehicle can transport up to five engineers quickly. Sometimes, Obelisks of Light may not kill APCs in one shot. Should the APC be destroyed, all infantry and crew are instantly killed. In some missions, Nod may acquire the vehicle, mostly in covert or false flag operations.
- Effective against infantry and light ground vehicles
- Can be used to run over and crush groups of infantry beneath its treads which the humvee cannot do.
- Very fast, even slightly faster than the humvee.
- Heavier armored than the humvee.
- Reasonably cheap ($700).
- Can load up to 5 infantry
- Has the largest sight range in the game
- Great for protecting engineers as it carries them into enemy territory
- Available as soon as a Weapons factory is built
- Ineffective against tank and building
- Vulnerable to anti-vehicles units
- Vulnerable to air units.
- If an APC is destroyed, all passengers inside will die as well.
- Cannot fire on the move.