Command & Conquer: The First Decade
|This article is written from a real world point of view.|
|Command & Conquer:|
The First Decade
|Developer||EA Los Angeles|
1.03 r4 (community patch)
NA7 February 2006|
DE16 February 2006
FR/PL17 February 2006
Command & Conquer: The First Decade is a compilation of all Command & Conquer games games from Command & Conquer Gold to Zero Hour, with the exception of Sole Survivor, optimized for running under Windows XP. It came in two DVD-ROM discs - one for installation and playing and the other containing some bonus material looking back on the past eight years of C&C.
The First Decade was released with several glitches and errors of its own. Certain tracks from Counterstrike and Aftermath were mistakenly omitted, some of the registry files were written incorrectly (a mistake likely transferred to the 2012 The Ultimate Collection compilation), and Shared Internet Components for Westwood's games were not properly registered on Windows Vista and up.
The community created an unofficial patch to fix most of the issues for the English version and update some of the earlier games to increase compatibility (albeit with superseded versions of respective patches). It also removes the need for the DVD to play. The only other localized version of The First Decade, the German one, is not compatible with this patch.
The 1.08 patch for Generals was specifically created and released prior to the release of The First Decade to prevent online incompatibilities with regular disc versions of the game. Interestingly, Zero Hour did not suffer from this issue.
Bonus DVD content
- The First Decade - a 2-minute montage acting as a trailer for the videos on the disc
- Louis Castle interview - an interview with Westwood Studios co-founder [Developers#Louis Castle|Louis Castle]], discussing the early days of the studio, the ideas behind Dune II: Building of a Dynasty, and the inception of the Command & Conquer series.
- 10 Years of Command & Conquer - a retrospective on the Command & Conquer series, showcasing each major title separately and in chronological order of release. Features Louis Castle, Greg Black, Amer Ajami, Aaron Kaufman, Harvard Bonin, Amir Rahimi and others.
- The Future - a brief and vague announcement on the future of the series, during the development time of Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars before it was officially presented.
- The Community - a shoutout to the Command & Conquer fans
- A Tribute to Command & Conquer - selection of six fan-made videos.
- Bonus features - trailer for The First Decade, selection of concept art from the included games, and the credits for the compilation.
- Command & Conquer: Special Gold Edition
- Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert - Counterstrike
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert - The Aftermath
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun - Firestorm
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 - Yuri's Revenge
- Command & Conquer: Renegade
- Command & Conquer: Generals
- Command & Conquer: Generals - Zero Hour
- The First Decade
- Louis Castle Interview
- 10 Years of Command & Conquer
- The Future
- The Community
- A Tribute To Command & Conquer
- Concept Artwork
- In the Tiberian Sun section of the manual, the attack buggy is omitted.
- In the Yuri's Revenge section of the manual, Yuri's army is stated to have access to attack dogs, which is false.