The standard trooper carries a powerful portable flak cannon over his shoulder, with the added weight making them slower than the average conscript. They have proved very effective in infantry firefights, as their flak cannons were highly destructive against infantry thanks to their added splash damage, an advantage that was made more lethal in regards to their surprisingly long range. However, in order to avoid exhaustion from lugging around their heavy weapons, flak troopers were issued very light armour, and could be killed easily by enemy anti-infantry units.
The trooper also has anti-aircraft capabilities, as their flak cannons allowed proximity shells to be shot high into the air. The unit dealt similar splash damage against air units that are clustered close together, such as Allied Harrier jets en-route to a target. It should be noted that in comparison to the Soviet flak cannon emplacement, the flak trooper paled in range and damage, but this was compensated by being cheaper, mobile, independent on power supply and versatile in means of being able to engage a wide variety of targets, not just aerial units. Groups of these troopers could defend any important site, as their cannons were capable of destroying enemy aircraft with ease.
On the other hand, flak troopers were not seen as permanent solutions as cheap base defense, as they performed poorly against armoured foes. Their flak cannons were almost useless against enemy armour, though they could do some noticeable damage to lighter vehicles like Allied IFVs and Yuri's gattling tanks. Flak tracks were ultimately a better solution as mobile anti-air units.
Oddly, when the flak trooper is prone, he travels faster. Also, when placed in an IFV, he cannot target aircraft.
Flak Troopers controlled by the AI have the following attack patterns:
- 4x guarding Soviet Ore Refineries, accompanied by 4 Conscripts
- 6x guarding Flak Cannons
- This strike force will only be constructed if the enemy owns 6 or more Harriers, 5 or more Black Eagles, or 2 or more Kirov Airships
- 2x targeting production structures, accompanied by 10 Conscripts and 3 Tesla Troopers
- Flak trooper reporting.
- Orders, comrade?
- At least I have job.[sic]
- I'm going!
- Moving out!
- This gun is heavy.
When ordered to attack
- Flak attack!
- This will be messy.
- Clouds of death!
- A little flak?
- I can't see through flak!
- They're shooting me!
- Help me, Romanov!
- I'm just one man!
- In real life, USSR engineers designed a similar weapon in the 1960s - "Kolos" anti-air grenade launcher, that fires unguided rockets against low-altitude planes and helicopters. This system was tested successfully, but did not go into production due to the advent much more capable MANPADS.
- The flak trooper is voiced by Douglas Rye.