|For other variants, see Flamethrower infantry.|
Flamethrower infantry are good close-range units and sport fire-retardant suits. However, they are useless at long distances and their fuel tanks are susceptible to explosions from projectiles.
Infantrymen armed with flamethrowers were used by the Brotherhood of Nod in the First Tiberium War. The flamethrower model used by the Brotherhood of Nod fired a liquid spray that burnt infantry in front of them. This model was also specifically designed to burn slower than normal flames. Eventually, Nod forces came to a conclusion that this added spray chamber system was too unreliable and complicated, and instead used a regular spray type flamethrower, albeit with a wide angle nozzle. For the Brotherhood of Nod, it was important that Flamethrowers be split apart - because they could not launch a fireball, any infantry nearby would take flame damage - even friendly units.
As with other infantry, flamethrowers were vulnerable to anti-infantry weaponry such as mines, explosives, machine gun fire, napalm, and nuclear explosives. However, the short range of the flamethrower meant that they would be exposed to this fire while attempting to reach a target.
These infantry squads were recalled and decommissioned after the First Tiberium War, with the Brotherhood choosing to only use vehicle mounted flame weapons during the Second Tiberium War. During the Third Tiberium War, with the development of more powerful and efficient fuels, infantry-scale flamethrowers were again used, this time by the Black Hand elite troopers.
- Effective against infantry, light vehicles, and structures.
- Cheap ($200).
- Splash damage. Can hit multiple targets with its attack
- Vulnerable to anti-infantry units
- Vulnerable to air units.
- Can be crushed by vehicles
- Flamethrower is ineffective against heavily armoured vehicles, especially tanks
- Short range weapon
- May cause friendly fire.
- Loses against a grenadier in one-on-one matches.
- If they are bunched up, killing one may cause a chain reaction of explosions killing all of them.
- Grenadier - GDI support infantry