Undeployed, they carry an automatic rifle that is effective against other infantry. Their rifle, while effective, has a slower rate of fire compared to other infantry units; making them vulnerable when not deployed. However it does give them a capability to ward infantry off and engineers should such a need arise.
Like the standard GI, they are able to deploy into personal fortifications; instead of sandbags however, the Guardian GIs use collapsible steel emplacements that not only protected them from small arms fire but also rendered them immune to the crushing treads of tanks and other vehicles. Once deployed, they swapped their rifles for anti-tank missile launchers. A group of three Guardian GIs with missiles can turn enemy tanks (and aircraft) into scrap metal in seconds.
The primary weakness of the Guardian GI's is the slow pace at which they move while undeployed. This is due to the heavy weight of their armour, anti-vehicle weaponry and the collapsible steel fortifications which they carry on their backs when not in use.
The Guardian GI is first available to the player in the first Allied mission of Yuri's revenge.
Tactics and counters
The Guardian GI is a formidable anti-tank heavy infantry, especially against vehicles that lack anti-personnel weaponry. Small squads of deployed Guardian GIs pose a threat to even some of the heaviest armor and aircraft in the game as their long range launchers can get a few shots off before tanks can close into the latter's firing range. They are even more versatile when placed in a Battle Fortress. Inside the heavy vehicle, they are completely immune to anti-personnel weaponry and can fire on the move at a faster rate than normal. With this method, they are excellent counters not only against tanks but also slow-moving aircraft such as Kirov airships and Yuri's Floating Discs.
Only without the protection of the battle fortress can anti-infantry units and vehicles such as Viruses, Desolators, Snipers or Gattling Tanks easily make short work of them without fear of retaliation. Basic infantry such as conscripts can also make relatively short work of Guardian GIs. Guardian GIs would lose against Rocketeers due to being infantry, and that their anti-armor weapons did little to infantry personnel. Therefore most often, Guardian GIs are often deployed in conjunction with the regular GIs.
Anti-Infantry vehicles are still a threat to Guardian GIs. A counter for this problem is keeping the Guardian GIs in IFVs or Battle Fortresses.
Guardian GIs controlled by the AI have the following attack patterns:
- 3x guarding Allied Barracks, accompanied by 3 GIs
- 2x targeting buildings, accompanied by 2 GIs
- 2x loaded inside a Battle Fortress then proceed to target infantry; accompanied by 2 GIs and 1 Navy SEAL
- 3x targeting buildings, accompanied by 3 GIs
- 1x loaded inside a Nighthawk Transport then proceed to unload near a Weather Control Device or Nuclear Missile Silo before targeting it; accompanied by Tanya, and 3 GIs
- 3x guarding Allied Ore Refineries, accompanied by 3 GIs
- 2x loaded inside a Battle Fortress then proceed to guard Allied Battle Lab; accompanied by 2 Chrono Legionnaires and 1 Navy SEAL
- 2x loaded inside a Battle Fortress then proceed to guard Allied Battle Lab; accompanied by 2 GIs and 1 Navy SEAL
- 5x targeting buildings, accompanied by 5 GIs
- 4x targeting production buildings, accompanied by 6 GIs and 2 Engineers
- Yuri's Revenge patch 1.001:
- Tanks are no match!
- We're uncrushable!
- Let's show 'em what we got.
- Solid as a rock, sir!
- On the mark, sir!
- Sir, yes, sir!
- Right away, sir.
- Affirmative, sir!
- Let's move out!
When ordered to attack
- He's mine!
- They want a scrap?
- We'll take 'em!
- I'm all over him!
- Let's throw down!
When ordered to deploy (unused)
- Diggin' in!
- They're not lettin' up!
- I need a medic!
- It's too much!
- I'm hit bad!
- I can't take anymore!
- They're right on top of me!
- Their missile launchers look identical to flak troopers' flak guns, maybe due to lack of new modelling.
- In their pre-release appearance and the cameo, their helmets are gray. In their final SHP sprite, they are black.
- In the concept art, they seem to be holding a Beretta M12 submachinegun.