|“||The Lasher Tank is Yuri’s base tank unit, comparable to the Allied Grizzly and the Soviet Rhino. Like its counterparts, it is designed to attack and defend against enemy armour.
- Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge manual(src)
The Lasher, like most of Yuri's units, was mounted on a narrow chassis. Mounted on the top was a light cannon, fairly effective against vehicles and buildings, but ineffective against infantry. The Lasher was equipped with a frontal drum-shaped, spiked cylinder, designed presumably to remove sandbags or inflict additional injuries to enemy infantry. However, the Lasher was a light tank, and could not stand much punishment - equal to that of an Allied Grizzly. The Lasher, like most Yuri vehicles, could enter a tank bunker to supplement its weak armor. Due to its fairly low price, it was easy to mass produce and overwhelm the more expensive tanks of the Soviets, an advantage that was negated if their enemy was equipped with an Industrial Plant.
The Lasher was erased after the Soviets meddled with the space time continuum.
The Lasher is the same as the Grizzly tank, except the Lasher's gun projectile moves faster.
Like most conventional tanks, the Lasher light tank is vulnerable to all air units, and to uncrushable and anti-tank infantry, such as Tesla troopers, Guardian GIs and rogue Brutes. Lasher tanks could also be mind controlled by rogue Yuri Clones. In addition, it was Yuri's only dedicated anti-armor vehicle. Therefore, for all of its disadvantages, it was essential for Yuri's commanders to keep a division of these tanks not only for protecting their vulnerable mind-control units, but to defend their bases from enemy tanks should the base's mind control defenses fail.
Lasher Tanks controlled by the AI have the following attack patterns:
- 3x targeting vehicles, accompanied by 1 Gattling Tank
- 2x targeting vehicles, accompanied by 1 Gattling Tank and 1 Mastermind
- 2x guarding Slave Miners, accompanied by 1 Yuri Clone and 1 Gattling Tank
- 5x targeting vehicles, accompanied by 2 Gattling Tanks
- 2x targeting base defenses, accompanied by 4 Brutes, 2 Gattling Tanks, 4 Magnetrons and 1 Mastermind
- 5x targeting vehicles, accompanied by 2 Gattling Tanks and 1 Mastermind
- 4x targeting vehicles, accompanied by 1 Gattling Tank, 1 Magnetron and 2 Masterminds
- 6x targeting vehicles, accompanied by 3 Gattling Tanks and 2 Masterminds
- This strike force will only be constructed if the AI owns a Psychic Dominator
- We will puncture through.
- Lasher tank ready.
- Yuri's tank division.
- Where is battle?[sic]
- Turn up the speed.
- Take me to frontlines.[sic]
- Yes, master Yuri.
- The hunt is on!
When ordered to attack
- Gonna make some scrap metal!
- We can whip 'em!
- They will not escape!
- Bow to Yuri!
- Prepare for your lashes!
Early concept art by Phil Robb
- Elite Lasher tanks use the Tank Destroyer's firing sound instead of their own.
- Due to an oversight by Westwood Pacific, the unused vanilla Red Alert 2 light tank barrel displays on the Lasher tank. That unit is also entirely overwritten in code and art in Yuri's Revenge, as the Lasher uses its "LTNK" label.
- The "Where is battle?" line was originally meant for moving, and the "The hunt is on!" line was originally meant for attacking.