The GDI Machine Gun Squad is a man-portable heavy machine gun operated by a crew of three. Although extremely slow and unable to attack on the move, they have great firepower and durability when deployed, making them ideal for harvester defense and occupying strategic locations.
- Can attack up to 2 tiles away, but must set up first.
- Takes 50% reduced damage when setup.
- Reveals stealthed units.
The Machine Gun Squad is a slow moving infantry unit that is very vulnerable while en route and setting up, but once settled, has increased health and long attack range. Although their raw firepower is not that great, their ability to shoot over friendly units gives the sustained chip damage that will wear down ground units quickly. On their own MGs can't survive even ground based anti-infantry units, therefore they must be supported.
One option is to accompany MGs with the Missile squad since both can stand up to early game threats. War dogs can give a better early ground defense since they are disposable and hard to destroy. They can block effectively while MG is dealing damage from a safe distance. To counter air threats, Slingshot can deal with early game threats.
MGs are most effective on maps where there is a single strategic point to defend.
Even though MGs are relatively cheap, they are hard to replace once removed, since they are slow to move, take long to deploy, are vulnerable while doing so. These circumstances make it paramount to keep them alive as long as possible and to have a plan B if the MG nest is destroyed.
The greatest threat to MGs are Venoms, Razorbacks and Drone swarms, since these units are available in the early game and can survive against Missile squad protection. Even scouting Militants or Cyberwheels can easily destroy MGs. In the middle game, the Drill pod is a headache since it can be deployed right next to the MG squad, in addition, Catalyst missiles and Ion cannons can't be avoided.
In the late game most heavy units can tank its damage, therefore it is in the interest of the commander to finish the match as soon as possible.
The MG squad does not follow the usual squad mechanics — it doesn't lose damage output as it loses health, and it can be healed up to full strength. This makes MG significantly benefit from the Repair drone.
- Added to the game on 24 December 2019.
- 2019-02-06: Turn speed increased to 200 (was 120)
- 2019-03-13: Speed increased to Average (was Slow).
- 2019-04-03: Damage to Infantry and Vehicles reduced to 26 (was 30)
- 2019-05-01: Damage increased to 28 (was 26)
- Gun squad's ready to rumble
- Gun squad ready to set up
- Heavy machine gun; no really!
- Gun squad reporting
- Bros, check out my guns!
- Argh, where are we carrying this thing?
- Machine gun squad. What is it?
- Let's dig in over there
- This thing's heavy, you know
- Argh, this thing's really heavy
- Go boys! Move out!
- You ever move this thing?
- Alright bros, flex those muscles
- Stay together, bros
When moving to attack favorably
- We're gonna tear them up!
- Yeeeah, let's get them!
- Heavy guns gonna chew them up!
When moving to attack unfavorably
- They are gonna tear us up!
- Tell my mama I love her!
- We're gonna get hammered!
When unable to attack target
- What if I could?
- Can't be done!
- Come and get us!
- Yeah, now we're talking!
- Keep firing!
When under attack
- I love you, bros!
- We need to pull out!
- We need to pack up and get out of here!
- They're ripping us to pieces!
- We're not gonna make it, bros!
- Has no similar unit in the Tiberium universe.
- Displays camaraderie and team spirit.
- When idle, arm wrestle.