The photon cannon is a Scrin heavy anti-armour base defense, rivalling GDI Guardian cannons and Nod laser turrets. Despite their name, they appear to use plasma discs as a main weapon. They can be upgraded with Tiberium shard launchers, increasing their damage per second output by nearly 140%.
|Shard launcher||While the plasma disks on a Photon Cannon are fairly lethal to vehicles, upgrading them to fast-moving Shard Launchers provides a potent increase in damage (Ctrl+S).||Purchasable at any Technology Assembler for $2500 and taakes 1:15 to research.|
- Effective against vehicles.
- Detects stealth units.
- Deals more damage to infantry than GDI's guardian cannon and Nod's SAM turret.
- Low armour compared to its GDI and Nod counterparts.
- Defenseless against air units.
- Still weak against infantry.
This base defense shares its name with a Protoss defense platform in the StarCraft series, though the latter has the ability to fire at air units.