|This article is written from a real world point of view.|
Patch 1.004 for Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 was released in February 2001.
The downloadable patch executable includes all the patches that were released before it.
- RA2 now allows you to play "Free for All" in Skirmish mode. Now the AI can attack each other and not just the player.
- Hotkeys and interface changes added:
- Right clicking on the mouse centers on the Radar Screen instead of deselecting the player's units.
- Press the 'Spacebar' to cycle through last 8 EVA events. 'Spacebar' now also goes to "Ally under Attack" EVA event.
- Players can now place rally points on Service Depots.
- The 'Q' & 'W' keys that select Tab buttons now grab a completed building for the cursor. Pressing again places that building.
- Press 'Ctrl' + 'Arrow' keys to jump to the edges of the map.
- Page User is bound to 'U'.
- Health Navigation, Veterancy Navigation, and Previous Unit hotkeys are now unbound. They can be rebound in the Keyboard Configuration menu.
- Observer Mode: RA2 now has an Observer Mode that allows 1 player to watch other players' games. Particularly useful for Korean television shows and tournaments.
- There is a new checkbox at the top of the bunkers that players can check to observe games. Clicking it will switch the "Join" button to "Observe" and vice-versa.
- In the game setup screen, the host can select the bottom slot to be open for observers (assuming he isn’t the observer himself). Players attempting to observe go into this slot.
- The observer can only chat to all players.
- The observer cannot use Beacons or Waypoint Mode.
- The observer is not shown on the score screen.
- The observer is not allowed in Co-Op mode.
- Dreadnoughts can now break bridges with missiles.
- Now players can destroy a unit flying over an Iron Curtained building.
- If the player has a Cloning vat, an Engineer, 2 infantry units, and a Tech Hospital he will no longer get a complimentary unit out of his Cloning Vat for every unit healed.
- The edges of the Radar Screen are now visible.
- We've enabled the Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic CommanderTM to work properly. We've also included the Westwood endorsed configuration.
- The Desolator will no longer continue to shoot the ground over and over and keep building up radiation.
- Parts of buildings will no longer disappear on occasion.
- Structures no longer flash a frame of animation during placement.
- Fixed the "Place Structure Anywhere" cheat.
- Super Weapon tab flashes when ready.
- Crazy Ivan and Tanya bombs now work on all bridges.
- Fixed a Terror Drone + unpacking MCV problem that made games never end.
Westwood Online changes or feature additions
- Quick Match now gives ping of opponent when matching.
- Zero starting units are allowed.
- Fixed up the taunts to make sure they play correctly.
- Paging additions:
- Players can page a buddy from inside a game room, bunkers or game. (/page user name message) Example: /page Yuri Hi.
- Players can reply to last message. (/r message) Example: /r Hi there.
- Players can check to see if another player is online. (/on user name) Example: /on Tanya
- If player is paged and he presses 'U”'to reply to that sender, the paging screen will default to that sender's name if 'U' is pressed within 5 seconds.
- A ping meter is included inside game lobby as a tooltip. There are also graphic indicators (green, red, yellow) next to player names. The ping indicated in the tooltip is between that player and the game host.
- Lobby Chat only scrolls if player is on bottom chat line.
- Included an icon table that displays most icons and what they mean in Westwood Online.
- Fixed "Fetching Server" message pop up problem. Now it happens less.
- Fixed the loss of keystrokes when typing chat in bunker.
- Lobby now defaults to the bunker the player left when returning from Buddy List, etc.
- Click on an existing game to show the name of map in bunker as tooltip. No need to enter a game to find out which map is being played.
- Chat messages during games no longer display in a choppy and slow manner. Messages written at the end of games will now display properly also.
- Players are now routed to bunkers with less than 25 people when entering Custom Match.
- A tooltip has been added that shows a player's rank, battleclan and battleclan rank when you mouse-over a player's name. It may take a bit for the server to return the player's rank.
Unit balance changes
- IFV + Chrono Legionaire now destroys things more slowly.
- Tesla Tank will shoot a little slower.
- Demo Truck speed reduced.
- Demo Truck damage was reduced.
- IFV + Tesla Trooper will shoot a little slower.
- IFV + Terrorist damage reduced.
- Terrorist hit points are increased