A stoic, calm Englishman, he'd "rather be tending to his dogs and rose gardens, if his way of life wasn't under dire threat". Rational, realistic, decisive and at times witty, he is often at odds with the brash American President Ackerman.
|“||Ah, commander. I'm Field Marshal Robert Bingham, chief officer of the Allied military command. I'm told that you're a capable officer, well, let's hope that this assessment is correct. All of our senior commanders are fighting in Europe, leaving the defense of Great Britain entirely in your hands.
- Robert Bingham
He is one of the few senior Allied commanders in Europe not captured by the Soviets as they overrun the continent, and recruits a young commander fresh from military school to defend England. Later, he negotiates an alliance with the Soviet Union against the threat posed by the Empire of the Rising Sun.
|“||You caught them by the shortened curlies, commander. They didn't know what hit them. Well, it looks like everything that Zelinsky said was true. I can hardly believe it myself, those treacherous Russians are to blame for everything that happened in this war. The only thing that matters now is the complete and utter destruction of the Soviet Union. Cherdenko and Krukov have concentrated all their forces in the one place that they believe is impregnable: The Peter & Paul Fortress in Leningrad. Bring it down, commander. Make them pay for their lies and betrayal.
- Robert Bingham
When President Ackerman threatens to undermine the pact with the Soviets by preparing to fire an intercontinental laser at Moscow, Bingham solemnly orders his elimination. He allows Soviet scientist Dr. Zelinsky to defect, and orders an investigation into Soviet activities in Cuba, and the subsequent liquidation of that threat. Under his leadership the Allied forces successfully prevent the defeated Soviet leadership from fleeing into space, stopping them at Leningrad.
|The following is based on the Soviet campaign of Red Alert 3 and might contradict canon.|
During the Soviet Campaign, the Field Marshal was defeated along with his entire escort by a Soviet ambush en route to a supposed peace talk with the Soviets on Easter Island (see The Stone-Faced Witnesses). The Soviet hero and Commander Zhana successfully defeated his forces.
|The following is based on the Imperial campaign of Red Alert 3 and might contradict canon.|
In the Imperial Campaign, he was seen being told by Dr. Zelinsky of the time machine. He is shocked to discover that President Ackerman is in truth a cyborg. The Field Marshal agrees to a truce with the Soviets. Bingham sends cunning Commander Lissette to join forces with General Krukov to attack Yokohama harbor. However, the Allies and Soviets attack failed and its commanders forced to retreat. He was killed in the final Japanese assault on Amsterdam, when they destroyed the Allied VIP Bunker.
Behind the scenes
- In The Shark and the Lure, Lieutenant Eva mistakenly refers to the Field Marshall as "General Bingham".
- Bingham is portrayed by Jonathan Pryce, known for playing The High Sparrow in the Game of Thrones television series, Elliot Carver in the James Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies, the American President in the movie G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and its sequel Retaliation. He also acted as Governor Weatherby Swann in the Pirates of the Caribbean series.
- Despite being an Allied Field Marshall, Bingham wears straps from the Soviet medals dedicated to victories in World War II (in particular medal for "Victory over Germany", medal "For the Capture of Königsberg"), as well as medals of the decade anniversaries of the Red Army.
- Despite him holding the rank of field marshal, Bingham wears the shoulder straps of a lieutenant-general (three stars).
- Electronic Arts Los Angeles, Red Alert 3 official site: .