Prepping blueprints for expansion...
Rules.ini is a stub and needs your help. You can help by expanding it.
Please refer to the talk page for further discussion.
Rules.ini is a configuration file that included unit stats starting from Red Alert. It allows easy modifications because it was not hard-coded as in Tiberian Dawn. Some special programs like TibEd or Red Alchemist are specialised in modifying these values in an annotated manner with selection boxes showing the allowed values to aid new modders.
Expansion packs used differently named files that served the same purpose, e.g. aftrmath.ini, firestrm.ini or rulesmd.ini.
As of Generals, a unique Rules file is no longer used. Instead, it is split into several parts.
Rules.ini manipulates unit stats, weapons, armour, mobility and similar attributes. However, unit appearances are saved in Art.ini. They are, as the names suggest, INI files with all the basic properties of the format. Information for the Yuri's Revenge mod is coded in files with a
md suffix in the names.
GENERAL section of RA2/Yuri defines general game rules. YR Arg's annotated files contain plenty of information on individual entries.
RA2 and YR splits the countries into Allies (GDI), WSA (Nod), and (only in YR) Yuri (ThirdSide). Their member states include:
- GDI: British, French, Germans, Americans, Alliance (S. Korea)
- Nod: Russians, Africans (Libya), Confederation (Cuba), Arabs (Iraq)
- ThirdSide: YuriCountry
Information for each unit is defined in a named section unique to the unit. For example, the section for rhino heavy tank is simply named
HTNK. The following fields are commonly seen:
- Building prereq
- List of countries that can own the unit. Not significant?
- Required country for special units, such as the demo truck.
- Primary, ElitePrimary
- Name of the weapons used; all damage properties come from the corresponding weapon section
For a unit section to be referenced in the game, it must be listed in one of the "Type Lists" in the rules.ini file. Simply search for "Type List" in the annotated files will take you there.
Annotated Rules.ini files
- Tiberian Dawn ini rules, converted from the hardcoded exe data by Nyerguds
- Red Alert 2 INI files @ YR Arg
- Yuri's Revenge INI files @ YR Arg