|This article is about the United States of America in the Tiberium universe. For its appearance in other universes, see United States of America.|
The United States of America was a federal constitutional republic comprising fifty states, one federal district, and fourteen territories. The country is situated almost entirely in the western hemisphere: its forty-eight contiguous states and Washington, D.C., the capital district, lie in central North America between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, bordered by Canada to the north and Mexico to the south; the state of Alaska is in the northwest of the continent with Canada to its east, and the state of Hawaii is in the mid-Pacific. Territories of the United States, or insular areas, are scattered around the Caribbean and the Pacific Ocean.
The United States is an ethnically diverse nation. From its earliest days as colony to the 21st century, the nation attracted many different peoples around the world. Indeed, at the end of the 20th century, the nation boasted prosperous economy, stability, as well as a state based on the principles of freedom, similarly to other Western countries in Europe.
Second World War
First Tiberium War
After the war, the USA emerged as a superpower alongside Europe. With its membership on the United Nations permanent Security Council, and one of the G8 nations, the United States was one of the major supporters of GDI. American defense contractors, such as Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman were on the cutting edge of military technology. When the soon-to-be GDI was compromised and forced to go public, America was part of its backbone, supplying much of its armament and manpower, with the approval of the US President Robert Fielding by signing the United States Global Defense Act. Additionally, the commanding officer of GDI was an American, General Mark Jamison Sheppard.
When Tiberium arrived on Earth in 1995, a group called the Brotherhood of Nod immediately gained control of half of the world's Tiberium supply, more than the G8 members sponsoring GDI. And although the world thought of Nod to be just another minor terrorist organisation, scandals in prestigious American defence companies revealed that Nod had substantial land, air, and sea power. During the First Tiberium War, the country's military command center, the Pentagon, was marked for an attack by Seth. This mission, however, was aborted by Kane and Seth was executed.
The city of Seattle in Washington was rocked by riots during this period, as citizens opposed the unfair electoral college proceedings, pointing out the shortcoming of the American democratic system.
Second Tiberium War
In the Second Tiberium War, an American officer commanded GDI for the second time - General James Solomon, a West Point graduate and exceptional leader, although (ironically) bigoted towards the Forgotten. US bases in the southwest, such as Phoenix Base in Arizona were amongst the first to fall to Nod during the war, which also took place in numerous locations on American soil.
During this time, GDI had already combined the military resources of the industrialized world into a singular military force, becoming the defense agency of the first world.
Third Tiberium War
After the Firestorm Conflict, the United States' de facto boundaries were radically changed. Much of the United States became Yellow Zones, with all or parts of the heartland states (Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, New Mexico, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Wisconsin and San Francisco) uninhabitable Red Zones.
As with many nations, the United States' government largely fell under the control of GDI, a de facto world government by this point. However, during the Third Tiberium War, the United States was a major stronghold for GDI, with Washington, D.C. serving as one of GDI's main command centers. There was a suicide bombing in North Carolina. Then during the opening stages of the Third Tiberium War, most of the Blue Zones within the United States were assaulted by Nod forces, including Washington. A brave commander turned the tide however, and with the GDSS Philadelphia's destruction, the Pentagon became the military center of operations for GDI. The Scrin attacked there, but was repelled. A Scrin Tower was built in its Red Zone, but got destroyed. NORAD and the GDI Tacitus holding facility was also located there until LEGION and its cyborg army - the Marked of Kane - took back the artifact in 2052.
As Tiberium underwent another mutanted evolution, it was presumed the whole United States became uninhabitable by 2062. Indeed, New York was once a blue zone in 2047 until it became a red zone. Red zone 483 became infamous to rival that of the Italian Red Zone in the Third Tiberium War as well as the site of a massacre by Nod forces. However the construction of the Tiberium Control Network had allowed GDI to reclaim some of the Red Zones in the US into Blue Zones, such as Chicago. Chicago was the target of a Nod Separatist attack, however the city was saved by GDI.
USA's fate in the Ascension Conflict is currently unknown. However it is presumed that most of the United States was cleansed of the Tiberium crystals and the Texas Red Zone was one of the few Red Zones left on the planet.
1995- about 250 million people
1995- Federal Presidential Republic
2047 -as other GDI-member states' governments, US government effectively defunct.
1995 - North America, with territories in the Pacific and Atlantic
2047 - De jure, borders remained the same. De facto, American territory now divided between 2 Blue Zones, R-7 Red Zone and a Yellow Zone
1995- US military's enlisted forces were more than 2 million, possessing infantry divisions and armoured corps along with massive air force. US Navy possessed unmatching firepower as a result of largest-in-the world defense spendings. US military (USAF and USN) possess nuclear capability, although USA as a member of UN Security Council have obligations not to use it unless UNSC cleared to use nuclear arsenals or USA itself was under nuclear attack.
Areas of Interests
- Cheyenne Mountain complex: A military base where the Tacitus was held until it was moved to the Rocky Mountains base at some point before 2052.
- White House: The former home of the President of the United States of America in Washington, D.C. In the First Tiberium War the place was the target for destruction by Nod. By the 2040s it had no official function, but was a popular tourist attraction. For its propaganda value it was taken over by Nod forces in the initial phase of the Third Tiberium War, but was later liberated by GDI.
- Pentagon: This iconic, pentagon-shaped, partly underground structure was the former headquarters of the USDD. In 2047, it was one of the most important military buildings for the GDI Commanders.
- Hampton Roads: A large naval base in southern Virginia, attacked by Nod in the early phase of the Third Tiberium War (where a Nod commando single-handedly sunk several GDI battleships and destroyed the port facilities). It was later liberated by GDI.
- Andrews Air Force Base: A major air force base for GDI and site of a battle during the Third Tiberium War.
- Langley Air Force Base: A major air force base for GDI and site of a battle during the Third Tiberium War. Control of this base was necessary for Nod and GDI as without this base, GDI's ability to send in reinforcements and control the skies will be seriously crippled.
- North Carolina: Just prior to the outbreak of the Third Tiberium War scouting GDI forces discovered a nasty surprise in the form of a large Nod base in North Carolina's Yellow Zone. After fighting a skirmish against Nod troops, the Nod base was obliterated by an ion cannon strike. This battle shattered the established illusion within the GDI command that Nod was no longer a serious threat, but it was already too late.
- Goddard Space Center: This facility on the eastern seaboard was stealthily taken out by Nod troops in order to disable the ASAT system protecting the Philadelphia, so a nuclear missile can be launched at it. This action resulted in the outbreak of the Third Tiberium War.
- Phoenix Base: A GDI outpost in Nevada, damaged by Nod forces in the opening days of the Second Tiberium War.
- GDI Treasury: LEGION attacked here to stop Boyle from heading into space.
- Washington D.C.: Nod attacked this city with its Flame tanks and Black Hand and spread Tiberium all over the city. However, GDI retook the city later on.
- Westwood Studios, Command & Conquer: Renegade official site: .