|“||This deadly infantry unit is equipped with a long-range rifle, capable of slaughtering any infantry unit with a single strike. Worse, the victim is killed not with a bullet but with a powerful toxin that leaves a dangerous residue that damages other infantry units unfortunate enough to walk through the poisonous cloud left by a Virus’s victim.
- Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge manual(src)
Armed with a virus-laden sniper rifle, these women can take out any standard infantry unit with one shot. When killed by the virus, the victim expands and violently explodes, releasing a cloud of fast acting bio-toxin that damages everything in its wake, including light vehicles passing through the cloud. Any infantry killed by the cloud will undergo an identical process and release another cloud.
Viruses have a slow rate of fire and their dart guns are useless against vehicles and buildings. The toxin cloud is harmful to friendly units as well, although interestingly enough, the Virus is immune. Furthermore, the Virus is easily countered by any sort of vehicle or base defense, as well as British snipers, who have superior range. Given a large group of enemy units with a good concentration of infantry, a good choke point, a good vantage point, and some patience, a single Virus could easily lay waste to a large number of units in said group.
When infantry are killed by the virus, the victim instantly expands, decomposes and violently explodes, releasing a cloud of fast acting bio-toxin that damages everything in its wake, including light vehicles passing through the cloud. Any infantry killed by the cloud will undergo an identical process and release another cloud.
Viruses controlled by the AI have the following attack patterns:
- 1x targeting infantry, accompanied by 2 Brutes and 1 Yuri Clone
- 2x targeting infantry, accompanied by 8 Initiates and 1 Yuri Clone
- 1x targeting vehicles, accompanied by 6 Initiates and 3 Yuri Clones
- 2x targeting production structures; accompanied by 3 Brutes and Yuri Prime
- Viral agent ready.
- Free inoculations!
- Here comes the plague!
- I am so very contagious.
- Flu shots, anyone?
- Epidemic on the move.
- Which way is the wind blowing?
- Nasty bug going around.
- Virus spreading!
- Just get me in range!
When ordered to attack
- Time to infect!
- No cure for this!
- How about a nice shot in the arm?
- This may sting a little.
- Taste my venom!
- Mmm, better go to the clinic!
- I cannot hold them off!
- I need an antidote!
- I'm in too close!
- I feel sick!
- I'm hit!
Concept art by Phil Robb
The English, French, and German versions share the same cameos.
- Early concept art of Virus shows a male chemical/poison spray trooper type unit instead of a poison sniper unit. This unused concept is labelled as chemical spray infantry in the rulesmd.ini file that lacks a cameo and uses a different weapon.
- The bio-toxic clouds released by the killed infantry are similar in appearence and effects to the Tiberium clouds released by the Veinhole Monster, the Tiberium Floater and Nod's Chemical Missile, all featured in Tiberian Sun.